Thursday, 19 November 2009

The Cook the Thief His Wife & Her Lover

Apologies for walking in late, trains again. When I walked in, I Believe it was during the first bathroom scene so was a bit like, what the...??? So I initially missed the setup of romance and flirting between the two lovers, but none the less I still understood what was going on, Just from that scene I understood the relationship between the Wife and her Husband, but was not sure where the Lover came into play, I imagined he was just in the right place at the right time. After sitting there for about 10-20 mins I started to think oh god this whole films set in this one room, great. But it was, I don’t believe the movie would have worked so well in any other setting.

I must say though, if I was sitting there at home and it came on TV, I would have changed the channel straight away. Out of all the movies we watched during this unit, this defiantly tops the list, it was tense, it was funny, it was groce and it made you feel different ways about different characters, i.e. the Husband, What a c**k,you could have easily gave him a good smack on the face.

The lighting in the film was amazing, I think using lighting to create obvious different moods is a tad over rated, but it worked really well in this movie, I mainly noticed this during the first scene in the bathroom, when the door opens and all the drastic red light form the restaurant comes in a brings that sense of realism instead of fantasy back into the room, there not in some secret love nest, but instead in a public toilet where anyway could find them.

CANIBALISM. I vaguely remembered Phil saying something about this but I thought, naaaa not in this movie, but then as drew towards the end of the movie I started thinking, wait a minute there’s still space. Then the Husband topped it with the line (something along these lines) I’m going to kill you, then I’m going to eat you.

Overall I would say that this movie was worth waiting until the end of the unit, it was very good, quite interactive and kind of worked out for the better in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment