Friday, 11 December 2009

Unanny Architecture - Jewish Museum

Again, I've been doing some research into uncanny architecture, but this time remembered back to a subject we looked at during our theory lectures, the Jewish museum in Berlin. I believe this museum was built to remember the lives of all Jew's during the holocaust, I'm not entirely sure though, i will research further into the subject. You can see why the building is uncanny from the images below, it sure does relate to the holocaust and the life of the Jews during it. To me, it gives off the feeling of emptiness, cold and unhappiness.


2 comments:

  1. The odd angles, and sharp edges give a really uncomfortable feeling too - they remind me of the sets in Dr Caligari...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting stuff, Richard - the 'architectural uncanny' - the idea of purposefully difficult spaces is really interesting - I don't know for sure, but I assume the designs of theme park haunted houses are similarly constructed?

    ReplyDelete