Monday, 11 April 2011

Tutorial Images

Here's a rather mixed bag of tutorial images that I have managed to get done, I worked on the ones which I thought would relate to my project more over others, more interesting tutorials from each subject.I haven't managed to complete all tutorials but will do soon. 

The tutorials that I enjoyed most included learning how to model appropriately for games. As I done games design at college and had some prior information on the subject, it was good to finally learn how it is actually done and where to apply detail to the areas needed. Other interesting tutorials which I believe I will get most use out of is the normal map and lighting tutorials. Learning how to normal map helped me out a great deal during the project as it meant I didn't have to labour a large section of time making sure the bump maps worked accurately, and on the side of the lighting tutorials, the mental ray sun/global illumination and portal lights were a hit and miss when it came to using them in my project. I followed the tutorials but applied them to what I had done, so maybe there a lesson learnt, finish the tutorials using the supplied scenes then apply to project work. I think the most fun tutorial worked on so far has to be the gold ball. There was a certain satisfaction in watching the mud drop off the ball once the tutorial was completed. As mentioned earlier, I will go back and complete the missing tutorials, apologies for that.

Transcription: Finishing Up

Okay, so were now at the end of our Transcription project and i would say that there is still a lot to come. I'm not happy with the fact that i didn't manage to finish the animation in time for the final crit, but i would say that i am happy with the quality of work that i handed in. (even if it was a tad dark due to the projector and the frame rate was playing at 29fps rather than 25fps, as i exported it out from Premiere at the wrong frame rate, which is the reason for the juttering.) However i re-exported it when i got home and it now plays fine and here it is...

Due to the rushed end at the time of the crit i was unable to to talk through my animation and show my supporting art work and what else i did manage to finish in time. So in a way here it is...

This is the image that in a way drove my animation, it was the starting point in week 01, and i feel as though i have done it justice. I don't think that my concept art is too far away from my final renders. I then went on to create the exterior piece of concept art which i would love to one day finish the animation to match this image, but i think for a 10 week project - this was far too big.

Moving on from the interior animation that i managed to show, i also had modelled and textured the exterior building which this living room was inside, it is a shame that i never managed to show it.

As you can see i did manage to model the base environment as you see it in the image below, and it is this shot which i am now working towards finishing at. The bus and all the buildings are modelled and waiting to be textured, then it is just the task of adding in the rubble and re-working the animation to match.

Also at the time of the crit i didn't manage to render the 50 seconds of footage that i had as an ambient occlusion, which is a shame as i feel as though this pass really helps the image set the scene. However, below are some rendered still of the living rooms with the ambient occlusion pass. 

And the making of and technical paper...

Transcription Making Of

Transcription Technical Paper