Tuesday, 4 October 2011

The Plan

With the go ahead for our project, me and Sam decided it was time to move ahead with the project and work out exactly what we are aiming to create. So after some helpful talks with Phil and Alan, we have worked out what we need to produce and a direction to do so. Alan recommended we should watch Dangerous Days; the making of Blade Runner, for its look on set design as appose to concept design, and the thought process in which we will need to re-create. A very interesting watch as the documentary discusses the rise and falls of the films creating, certainly a watch for any Blade Runner fan.


In discussion with Phil he made us realise that creating the environment is one challenge which can certainly be accomplished, however presenting the work in which we create will be another. A great piece of work can certainly fall to a poor piece of work if presented in the wrong way, which is a path both me and Sam are not interested in taking. Below is a great example of how something rather dull had been turned into a thing of beauty through its presentation alone. The Chapel, an animation produced by LookCreative, is a HDR timelapse short of multiple different shots of an environment, which put together truly transform the derelict chapel into a piece of art. It is the pace, style of shot, and beauty of the animation which are inspiring, and is exactly what we are aiming to produce to present our environment.


With this in mind we are now aiming to produce 4 long shots of animation and around 5 short shots of animation within the environment. The long shots will be around 20 seconds in length, with the short shots being just 2-3 seconds in length. This accounts for about 1:40 of rendered animation, so with the intro and outro the animation will be around 2 minutes long. Each shot will move further into the environment allowing for an interesting view of the entire environment. The purpose of the long shorts are to show the more grand sections of the environment, and the short shots will be there to show detail shots of the environment.

Together we have begun to plan out the environment and work out our pipeline for the project. We have budgeted the next three for pre-production which will take us to the 5 week mark where we will then begin production of the piece. To begin to work out exactly what are environment will look like, Alan mentioned we should create a list of people who would be living in the environment which would in turn give us the buildings which we will need to design. A very helpful step as it allowed for quick development and an idea of how we should lay our environment out. After creating the list, we began work on sketching out the environment so we had a rough idea of size and position of buildings. Below is a re-worked sketch of the environment with a list of buildings within it.

Initial Environment Map
To make full use of our collaboration we decided to number the different buildings which will need to be designed, and go away and design them on our own. This will add extra creative flare to the project as the final design for the environment will be a fusion of both mine and Sam's design ideas. I will be designing the; medicine shop, laundrette, train station, scrap shop, and saloon bar. Sam will be designing the; temple, butchers hop, stables, convenience store, blacksmith workshop, and power source. We have set ourselves the next week to design the basic layout of the buildings including their props, which we will then take into more refined pieces of concept art the following weeks. Overall we are aiming to produce an elaborate design bible for the environment which will include refined concept paintings of the various key points of the environment; the main open street/entrance, the enclosed street, the train/depo yard, and the court yard. It will be an exciting design filled couple of weeks so keep an eye out, weekly posts will be updated as usual on GreenOctopus blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment