Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Major Project: The end of CG arts & animation

Before the briefing I prepared some initial thoughts and images that would guide the discussion for gathering an idea for this project. As this is the final project before heading out into the real world, my main focus was on developing work that would read well in a portfolio/show reel. So to my joy of reading the brief and discovering its intentions were to do just this - I was very pleased to find out I'm already heading in the right direction. 

My main intention for this project is to create a still image that can be broken down into its key components for use in a show reel. As I will be creating a still image rather than an animation, this allows for an enhanced look into the detail of the image. More time can be effectively spent finalising a design, and mastering it in production - as the worry of render time for an animation will cease to exist.

There are three directions I can see this project heading in, all of which are based on a still image.

The first direction is to create a single image of a scene in an attempt to create the highest sense of realism possible. An idea which developed off of this, is to create a period set of interior images for an environment. Either from the same time period with different rooms, or the same room but from a different time period.


The second direction is to create a single image of either a fantasy based idea, or a one line joke. The fantasy image will head towards gathering a sense of realism, whereas the one line joke will cartoon based.



The third direction is to create 3D illustration based up on narrative. An idea which comes to mind is a concept I began over the summer before second year.  The idea is based on a child perspective of the worst case scenario of what could happen to them if they dared to go to the toilet during the night.



After the briefing and some discussions about the project. It became clear that work which is solely based on realism goes un-noticed, with the technical ability taken for granted. Therefore an idea which is based on style and charisma seems to be the way forward for this project. I find myself leaning towards my third idea, as with around 15 weeks to produce the project, an idea based on narrative seems to be the correct path to take. I hope to create an image which when broken down to its key components, the detail and level of quality are all the same.

A similar project and some of its development can be seen in Fabricio Moraes work on 'Steamnocchio' found on CGSociety.


Within the next week I will finalise an idea and produce a proposal of the project in its most final form ready for the first tutorial, in which I hope to get the go ahead for the project. As well as this i will also be working on branding my work, and creating a sense of professionalism ready for the real world.

Sunday, 22 January 2012

The Oriental West

As this project has come to an end, a lot of work has been produced since my last blog post - the most important of all being the finished animation.  It makes sense to post the animation and its making of up rather than a ton of seperate images that i have not perviously blogged. This has been a collaborative project between myself and Sam Hayes, working under the studio of GreenOctopus, which seems to have been about for years now. Overall the project has been tasking, but very enjoyable, and i believe this is shown within the animation and making of. The mammoth task of modelling and texturing the environment, with out a doubt has been the longest part of the project, however viewing the composited stills of the buildings come together really makes it seem worth while. Once production was complete, the task of compositing all the rendered cameras and editing the animation together begun. A part of the project which i feel i have learnt from, in the fact of adding post effects in After Effects, which has never been my strong point, and fixing any errors that may of occured. The part of the project i have learnt most from has to be the HDRI lighting, in combination with the modelling of the animation and the texturing. Also below there are some rendered stills of the animation without post effects such as heat distortion and sand fluids, and the design for the CD and case in which the project was handed in.





**Renders to come soon**